Join Earth Day Network on Earth Day 2018 - April 22 - to help end plastic pollution. Plastic is threatening our planet's survival, from poisoning and injuring marine life to disrupting human hormones, from littering our beaches and landscapes to clogging our streams and landfills. Together, we can make a difference.
Here are some suggestions from the Earth Day Network on how to reduce your plastic footprint:
- Every time you consider buying a disposable plastic item, ask yourself: Do I absolutely need this? Can I use something else that I already have? Could I buy something that I can use long-term instead?
- Properly dispose plastic products and be careful not to toss plastic products near waterways, beaches or in open spaces.
- Pick up plastic trash whenever you see it, especially in ponds, streams, rivers and on beaches.
- Don't buy products containing microbeads, which are plastic particles commonly found in exfoliating body washes and facial scrubs. Instead, purchase products that have natural exfoliates.
- Wash synthetic clothes less frequently to reduce the number of microfibers that are released.
- When possible, purchase clothing and other items made of natural fibers when possible.
- Get involved in local legislation and regulation to reduce and recycle plastics.
For more information: https://www.earthday.org/
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.